Thursday, October 8, 2009

Why is my computer so slow? Programs won't open and my hard drive runs constantly-HELP PLEASE!!

I have a Dell Dimension with a Pentium 4 (2.4 GHz) with 512MB of RAM. My computer has never had any significant problems until recently. Suddenly, within the last couple days, my computer bogs down during startup. My desktop appears, but I can't open any programs or windows, or if I do, it takes FOREVER for them to open. My hard drive activity light is constantly on. I have Avast! anti-virus, Spy-bot and Ad-Aware, but the problem is, my computer won't let me open them to run a scan! Eventually, me computer will tell me I'm "critically low on virtual memory". I've tried to turn off any unnecessary applications to free up resources. I've even tried to boot up in Safe Mode, but no luck: when I try, my computer shows a bunch of scrolling lines of file paths or something, then just freezes. The most frustrating part is, my computer is so slow that I can barely get into msconfig or regedit to poke around. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance!



Why is my computer so slow? Programs won't open and my hard drive runs constantly-HELP PLEASE!!?bmw



okay...try increasing the virtual memory.



right click on my comp and click on properties. click on advanced.click on settings under performance. click on advanced. click on change. check available memory...(space available)



increase initial size and maximum size to about 3000. atleast to about 2000. click on set. click on ok. click on apply. click on ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment