Monday, October 19, 2009

How to access folder on other PC in the same workgroup?

I have Desktop %26 Notebook PC`s both running WinXP Pro. When I`m trying to access folder on Desktop from note like this: \\%26lt;Desktop IP%26gt;\c$ I see pop up window prompting for password, but login is not editable it`s %26lt;Desktop PC Name%26gt;\Guest. So whatever password I`m entering, I can get inside.



When I`m trying to do similar thing from Desktop, like this: \\%26lt;Notebook IP%26gt;\c$ error window pops up with text similar to this:



\\192.168.0.1\c$ is not accessible. You might have no permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have permissions.



The network path was not found.



How can this be resolved? I`ve tried to disable/enable IEEE802.1x authentication, but seems it did nothing.



As well I`m using Avast home edition antivirus soft and ZoneAlarm. But Last one was disabled during my experiments.



How to access folder on other PC in the same workgroup?download



Even though you see that drive c is seen as c$ through Computer Management, it is not shareable by default, it was just using by your computer os and not you. And you should NOT do to share your whole drive c!



Create a folder inside drive c like: myShare. Then right-click -%26gt; Sharing and Security, then "Shared this folder on the network" with the name: myShare$



In Windows Explorer's address bar, type: \\YourComputerName

No comments:

Post a Comment