Thursday, October 1, 2009

Would you help me with Thoreau, please?

I need help interpreting some Thoreau quotes from "Where I Lived and What I Lived For":



-"Pause! Avast! Why so seeming fast, but deadly slow?"



-"And we are enabled to apprehend at all what is sublime and noble only by the perpetual instilling and drenching of the reality that surrounds us."



-"Be it life or death, we crave only reality."



-"Shams and delusions are esteemed for soundless truths, while reality is fabulous."



I have an idea of what Thoreau means, but I am having trouble explaining it coherently. Could you please paraphrase the quotes for me?



Would you help me with Thoreau, please?internet



I" have an idea of what Thoreau means, but I am having trouble explaining it coherently. Could you please paraphrase the quotes for me?"



I'll try for you,



-"Pause! Avast! Why so seeming fast, but deadly slow?" =



Wait! Hold on! How can it appear so fast and yet so slow?



-"And we are enabled to apprehend at all what is sublime and noble only by the perpetual instilling and drenching of the reality that surrounds us." =



We are only able to comprehend what is good and right, what is noble, by suffering the reality of darkness first



-"Be it life or death, we crave only reality." =



We must know the truth, wether it means life or death



-"Shams and delusions are esteemed for soundless truths, while reality is fabulous." =



Fantasy will not fulfill you, but truth will set you free



I hope it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment