Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Why did my video card stop working?

I purchased a custom built computer recently. It has an nVidia Geforce 8600 GT video card which worked fine for the first 24 hours. While installing some software and restarting several times (the last thing I installed was avast! internet security), the video card stopped responding, and I don't even get a BIOS screen when turning the computer on. If I pull the card and run the monitor from the VGA port on the motherboard, everything works fine.



I have seen several posts saying that I should reinstall drivers, but if I can't turn the computer on with the video card in and am unable to install drivers for a device that isn't present, I am not sure what to do. Can I tell the computer to ignore the video card slot before shutting down to install the card? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks. (I am contacting the company that built the machine tomorrow, but if I can do this on my own, I would rather save the hassle)



Why did my video card stop working?live update



I think... Its in your motherboard's BIOS. Use your onboard VGA to boot to BIOS, then look for the setting about your Primary Video Display. It usually says [PCI-e, PCI, IGP]. IGP is your onboard, and PCI-e is your 8600GT. Select PCI-e, then save settings. Then try running the monitor from your video card. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment