Sunday, September 20, 2009

How can I block a website/IP address from downloading anything?

I use Avast antivirus, and if something is trying to download something, it tells me where it's downloading from. I don't know what I'm doing to get viruses, but I'd like to know, is there a way I can block a specific IP address or website from downloading anything? And if there is a way, how do I do it?



How can I block a website/IP address from downloading anything?viruses



If you mean blocking your computer from accessing a certain site, you can do that using the hosts file in windows.



http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.ht...



Basically what it does is when a certain domain is requested, if it has an entry in the hosts file, it goes to whatever IP is listed for the data. All you have to do is feed it a bogus IP (usually 127.0.0.1) and it will fail every time.



That website describes it in more detail.



Good luck!



How can I block a website/IP address from downloading anything?antispam



There are multiple answers to your question, the most direct and free answer is first, then "more info" is included after this.



To block a specific address ..



Add an entry to your hosts file.



Right-click on your Start button, click on explore, navigate to "my computer", C:, Windows, system32, drivers, etc. Double-click on Hosts, scroll down the "open with" list and click on notepad, it will load Hosts into notepad.. In notepad add the following line:

No comments:

Post a Comment