Saturday, June 19, 2010

Slow running Internet connection. Maybe a virus?

Hi-I am running dial-up internet at home (i know that is ancient).



It would always work normal for me until acouple weeks ago. Now I will connect like normal, then within 2 minutes it will slow down to worse than a crawl. No pages can be displayed.



I am running XP. I have Avast antivirus and have run Spybot and Adaware and nothing shows up. It is the same problem with either IE or FireFox. It just seems like there is something running that takes up my internet.



Is there another program that I could run that might get this stuff off my computer so that I can use the internet again?



Any other suggestions???



Thanks,



-a



Slow running Internet connection. Maybe a virus?virus scan



Okay, perhaps it is spywares. U can scan using spybot and AdAware in windows safe mode( press F8 repeatedly during computer startup) coz spywares and adwares are most vulnerable in safe mode. Again, do u update the antispywares? Updation is really important. But, hey chill. It might be a temporary problem, due to overload in network. u know, dialup and even broadband are vulnerable 2 network traffic. Again, check if the net settings are correctly configured and firewall is set up correctly. Have u set up any new firewall?



Slow running Internet connection. Maybe a virus?anti virus scan



Download this programme



http://cleanup.stevengould.org



it will get rid of alot of the space wasting programs quite easily and effectively.I t will be sure to speed up your machine as a result
Hit Control-Alt-Delete once and then click on Task Manager. That will tell you what applications and processes are running and also show your CPU usage. This might help identify the source of your problem.
I run yahoo att dsl, and had that problem. They gave me the following web address to try to run for problems. It can take awhile though. It's http://housecall.trendmicro.com

No comments:

Post a Comment